Until 1663, this area was a marshy common on the edge of Dublin, used for livestock grazing. In 1664, the park was enclosed with a wall and old houses around the park were replaced with new buildings.
The current park was designed by William Shepherd and reopened to the public in July, 1880. It is 22 acres of lawns, trees, paths and ponds and provides a good green space for Dubliners to relax outside.
The Saturday we walked through was beautiful and the populace was outside in force, enjoying the sunny day.
Dublin’s Front Yard
Green lawns spread under golden rays,
enticing all to walk a ways
on shady paths ‘neath tall green trees,
working all week, suddenly free,
children’s laughter lifts their spirits,
slowing down, they’ve time to hear it
and forget where their work week’s been,
relaxing in St. Stephen’s Green.