After our short visit to the castle, we walked back down into town, taking the elevator to the piazza beside this Church of Saint John the Baptist.
It is a beautiful church in the upper part of Riomaggiore. It was founded on the 8th of November, 1340, in the presence of Bishop of Luni, Antonio Fieschi. In 1870, restorations were carried out after the church collapsed. The 14th century rosette in white Carrara marble was maintained.