Originally called Camin dei Angles (Walkway of the English), created in 1820 when the English aristocracy spent their winters here, was proposed when a particularly cold winter brought a sudden influx of beggars to Nice.
When Nice became part of France in 1860, the walkway was renamed Promenade des Anglais. It runs 7 miles along the sea shore from the airport in the West to the Quai des Etats-Unis in the East.
In modern times, it has become popular with bicyclists, baby strollers, inline skaters, skateboarders and families just wanting a place to stroll. In 2016, a truck was deliberately driven into revelers who were celebrating Bastille Day, killing 84 (+2 who died later) and injuring another 200.
Since 2016, new barriers have been installed to prevent similar attacks. The Promenade or Prom remains a favourite place to see and be seen. We walked here at least once every day. There was never a shortage of things to look at.
On our first evening
A great place to para-glide. We did not try this
Sights along the Promenade
Ebjoying sunsets along the Promenade