Cours Saleya is the main pedestrian street of the old town and runs parallel to Quai des Etats-Unis, extending rue Saint Francoise-de-Paule westward from Louis-Gassin street to Chares-Felix Square.
Designated as the Marina in ancient texts and as Palco from 1714, it was situated on a space left between rows of fortified houses parallel to the rampart along the waterfront. It and the adjacent terraces became an area for walking and entertainment for the idle rich clientele of the shops in the area.
In 1861, the Cours was approved as the first area for a market for flowers, fruits and vegetables in the city. In 1892, the area lost its appeal when many of the shops and boutiques moved to the new city. The area went through several changes to create a covered market hall, then fell into disrepair. During the times when the market was not running, it was turned into a large car park, which excluded pedestrians. In 1980, an underground car park was built and since 2009, renovations have been under way to restore the area.
The area is always busy with market and restaurant activity. We visited 3 times while in Nice and walked through several other times.
On Antique Market Day – Mondays
On Flower and Produce Market Days
Starting in the early afternoon, when it closes, the market is converted to seating areas for the restaurants in the area.