Nice contains many beautiful buildings from throughout it’s long history. While we saw many, I will just concentrate on the following few examples.
Opera de Nice –
A little wooden theatre was constructed by Marquess Alli-Maccarani in 1776. It was sold in 1787 to a group of gentry and reopened in 1790 under the name Theatre Royale . In 1826, the city of Nice was encouraged by King Charles-Felix to purchase it from its owners. They demolished the old structure and erected a new building, which was inaugurated in 1828 with Giovanni Pucini’s, Il Barone de Bolsheim.
A gas leak in 1881 started a huge fire which destroyed the building, killing 3 siblings of Marjory Kennedy-Fraser. The city decided immediately to rebuild another theatre on the site, designed by architect Francois Aune under the apparent approval of Charles Garnier, the architect of the Paris Opera. In 1902, it was renamed Opera de Nice and performances continue to this day.
Unfortunately, tours were not on offer, nor were there performances on during our visit.
la basilique Notre-Dame de l’Assomption is located on Ave. Jean Medicin. It was built between 1864 and 1868, based on the plans of French architect, Charles Lenormand, son of Louis Lenormand. It was inspired by the cathedral in Angers and is the largest church in Nice.
Cathédrale Sainte-Réparate de Nice was constructed from 1650 to 1699. It is the seat of the diocese of Nice and located at 3 Place Rossetti. It was raised to the rank of minor basilica in 1949.
Pons Ceva, a rich merchant who settled in Rome donated a significant amount of money for the construction of a Jesuit College in Nice. Construction of the college begins in 1607 and the Jesuits start buying houses in the area, so they can build their chapel. Eglise Saint Jacques-le-Majeur de Nice was constructed from 1642 to 1650.
The Jesuits were expelled in 1767 and the college and church were assigned to the service of the royal schools. After the Concordant of 1801, the church becomes a parish under the patronage of Saint Jacques-le-Majeur. The current Baroque facade was added in 1825.
The interior of the church was being restored when we visited.