Officially called Casino de Monte Carlo, this building houses the casino, the Grand Theatre de Monte Carlo and the office of Les Ballets de Monte Carlo. The casino was first proposed by Princess Caroline, spouse of Price Floristan 1. It opened in 1863, with one of the intents being to use casino revenues to save the Grimaldi family from bankruptcy, after the towns of Menton and Roquebrune broke away from Monaco and refused to pay taxes on olives and fruit. There have been several renovations and expansions, 1878-79, 1880-81 and 1898-99.
- the casino was featured in Ian Fleming’s Casino Royale
- it also appeared in Ocean’s Twelve
- it makes an appearance in Madagascar 3:Europe’s Most Wanted
- the casino is one of the primary sources of income of the House of Grimaldi
- Monegasques are not allowed to enter Casino Monte Carlo
It is a beautiful building with beautiful grounds, but given the traffic congestion and the blinding sun, it was difficult to obtain good shots. Nonetheless, we persevered and were fortunate enough to succeed.