James Hector of the Palliser Expedition was the first one to report the hotsprings in this area in 1859. In 1875, Joe Healey found the Cave and Basin. In 1883, William McCardell, one of three workers for the Canadian Pacific Railway, descended into the cave, using a felled tree trunk as a ladder. He went for a swim in the pond and shortly thereafter, created a small cabin in an attempt to commercialize the find.
Conflicting claims by others prompted the Canadian Government (Prime Minister Sir John A. MacDonald) to reserve the area around the Cave and Basin as a National Hotsprings Reserve.
A naturally heated swimming pool opened here in 1914 and continued to operate until 1994. Today the site is a Parks Canada interpretive site with access to the cave by paid admission or Parks pass. The upper trails and ponds can be accessed for free.
We wandered here on the upper trails briefly, but after our long canyon walk, interest for further walking and exploration quickly flagged.