Nothing on the Chartier menu for us this past week, so we opted for some takeout for a Thursday date night. I must say that while the price was most affordable (some would even say, cheap), the process was much more complex during COVID 19 social distancing rules.
- Only the drive thru window was open.
- Payment with Visa tap. This requires having the card already out in a clean hand and making sure not to contaminate it or the hand.
- Everything is served in a plain brown bag handed through the window. I grabbed it with one hand and passed it to Patty who took it with one hand.
- You had to keep track of clean and dirty hands. After the hand-off, Patty used the gel she had in her clean hand to make sure my dirty hand was sanitized, before I touched the steering wheel. Patty just kept track of her clean and dirty hands until we got home.
- Once home, clean hand/dirty hand rules had to be followed for getting out of car, opening house door, placing food bag into sink, removing contents, putting food onto pans to reheat in oven, pouring Root Beer into frosty mugs, disposing of garbage.
- Then and only then, did we both head to the sink to do a 20 second soap and water hand wash. I am getting pretty sick of Mary Had a Little Lamb, I can tell you.
Despite all the extra work, the result was quite delicious, but, we are finding it slightly weird that recycling and garbage rules seem to have all fallen by the wayside. I guess, desperate times call for desperate measures. We likely will not be going through the takeout food procedure many times over the length of the shutdown.
Here is the old A & W jingle from the late 1960s. Life seemed so simple then, did it not?
Lets all go to A & W, food’s more fun at A & W,
we’ll have a mug of root beer or maybe two or three,
we’ll pick the perfect size from the burger family,,
hey, lets all go to A & W, I can taste it now, can’t you
hop in the car, come as you are to A & W.