Carlingford from the Old Norse Kerlingfjǫrðr, meaning narrow sea inlet of the hag, is a coastal town and civil parish in County Louth, Ireland. It is located on the Southern shore of Carlingford Lough with Slieve Foy as a backdrop. Population as at 2011 is 1,045.
Carlingford was occupied by Norman knight, Hugh de Lacey in the 12th century. Due to its position, Carlingford was an important trading port, bringing prosperity in the 14th, 15th and early 16th centuries. After that, its prosperity and fortunes waned. Three successive wars, the 1641 Rising by the Irish of Ulster, the 1649 Cromwellian Conquest and the Williamite Wars of the 1690s took their toll on Carlingford. In 1741, the town was in a virtual state of ruin, but the final nail in the coffin was the desertion of the herring shoals from the lough to open water in the early 18th century.
Our visit was brief, with a pause on the shore of the lough to look at Rostrevor on the other side.
We were soon on our way out of town to catch the Carlingford Ferry across the lough to Rosterevor. Google told us we were already too late to catch the ferry, but on crsting the hill, we could see it was still in dock. We were quickly waved aboard and still had 5 minutes to spare before the ramp was lifted and the ferry sailed. Meanwhile, fishermen tried their luck nearby
Rain and mist were the order of the day and we took shelter on the upper deck under a small overhang, during the crossing.
After one final turn, we could see the 13th century Greencastle Royal Castle and the Mountains of Morne sweeping down to the sea. It was magical, even on this rainy day and we could only imagine how beautiful it would be in the sunshine. Has anyone ever seen it in the sunshine?