Jasper House was a fur trading post, in what is now Jasper National Park, which functioned at 2 different locations (on Brule Lake and then on the Athabasca River) between 1813 and 1884 as a major staging and supply post for travel through the Canadian Rockies. Originally named Rocky Mountain House, it was renamed Jasper House, after Jasper Hawse (who operated the post from 1814-1817) to avoid confusion with the post at Rocky Mountain House, further South.
The post was used intermittently between 1853 and 1884, when it was finally closed. The building was destroyed in 1909, when its lumber was used to make a raft for the surveyors for the Grand Trunk Railroad.
We have passed by the parking lot for this site for years, never going in to see what was there. On this trip, we had some time to kill before checking into our accommodation, so turned in for the short walk to the viewpoint. The walk is only about 300 meters, so no real sweat. We will never look at this parking lot the same way again.